Open Water Swimming
Register for Free at
Join Summit Steps Coaching for open water swimming early Friday mornings on Grays Lake in Grayslake, IL. We enter the water at Jones Island Park and Beach, located near the intersection of Harvey Ave. & North Alleghany Road. Open water swimming is an essential part or your triathlon training to experience different conditions the elements can add. Open water swimming helps you work on:
- Your stroke
- Wetsuit removal
- and more…
For first timers this is a great learning experience and helps reduce race day anxiety during the swim segment of your triathlon. The map below shows the location of Jones Island Beach. You can easily get directions by clicking the link below. View Larger Map
Anyone is welcome to join us. You do not need to be a member of Summit Steps Coaching to participate. We welcome other coaches and clubs to attend.
This is a swim at your own risk event.
There are no life guards on duty during open water swim times. You must be 18 years of age.
You must wear a bright-colored swim cap or you will not be allowed to swim.
The swimming beach on Jones Island is monitored by the Lake County Health Department for E. coli bacteria. Beach status may be found here.
- This is a swim at your own risk event.
- Wetsuits are NOT required.
- We do not measure the temperature of the water.
- The water is shallow and warms up quickly, with temperature changes on a daily basis.
- Remember, voices carry and residents live on the lake.
- Respect the residents at all hours.
- If you’re new to open water swimming, please tell us so we can partner you up.
- You must wear a bright-colored cap for safety purposes.
- No bright-colored cap, no admittance to the water.
- You should be able to comfortably swim 1,000 yards in a pool non-stop before attending.
- Please DO NOT call Grayslake Park District with questions.
- If you have questions use the form below.
2017 Opening Dates
- Swimming opens June 2nd
- Last swim August 25th
Register for our Free Open Water Swim Events at